Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back again - the kid story




Ok it's been a while since I have written a blog. A colleague and friend who has been consistent with his writing has made me rethink posting blogs so here it goes. Everyone who knows me knows how much I love children - any age, shape or size - I adore little kids. Maybe its because I am still a kid at heart - dunno.

Over the weekend I was so excited - my husband's two and a half month old nephew was staying with us (with his mom as well!) and he is the cutest little darling. When he left to go to his aunts place on Saturday night it just broke our heart and we couldn't wait to see him again which was one day apart.

Looking at him made me realize how much the other kids have grown, I have a huge lot of kids all friends children who I have built a close relationship with. A bunch of them are now in their early adulthood - working, at college or just going off to colleage. The others are growing taller than me, entering their teens and with characteristics that make me so proud. I was so overwhelmed with emotion the other day when my friends 10 year old made dessert - her first independent attempt at cooking. It was so ironic because now that I am married I have graduated from just desserts to cooking an entire five course meal. Life changes and although I feel I am where I was ten years back - things have changed. Not for the better or for worse. I was happy then and I am happy now. It's just different.

It also got me thinking about how children have aged in our century. I remember being a kid when life was so simple - no computers (stop right there, I am not OLD yet!) , mobiles or iPods... These days kids have it all - constant access to television and all that it bring with it, computer screens, playstations that are an addiction and mobiles that they can operate at the age of two.

I am not kidding! My husbands other newphew is barely a year and a half old, he graduated from operating the TV remote to his father's iPhone. He is so adept at it he can unlock it and knows how to scroll through by himself!

They grow smarter much quicker in life than we did but that brings me to think how good or bad is it? Shouldn't kids be kids and grow up in their own time? Whats the point of growing up early? Has the pace of life quickened so much that we encourage our children to grow up sooner than later? I just keep thinking and wondering - while all my little ones grow up faster than I can say Happy Birthday....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it - Kids should be kids! I can relate all the stories you are telling here to my 3 years old niece ... from Iphone to spying on her mamu she is just so adorable...

I think you need a formal welcome to get the push to start posting more :)

Smart-y said...

who cant adore those tinny hands, eyes, and everything!! I too love kids :)

about kids, kids nowadays are smart, want to be different, and independent.. which is scary at some point! they're still young after all!!
i'm 21 years old.. and its like my mind can't catch up with my little brother who is 11.. it's like i'm 40 compared to him!!

Anyway, I just want to say to you: welcome, and I hope you will stay more this time.

rencontrer Pauline said...

whatta lovely kids can make life so heaven :) i think kids are kids that they should always think as kids and play toys and spend time with kids at the playground and I think technology can make their brain grow fast and fast but what about being a real kid?

cloudy stars said...

I LOVE KIDS!!

Just Nita said...

wow didnt know there were so many responses to my blog...should write more often!